Get a License

If your business deals with the importation, manufacture, distribution or sale of alcohol in NY, you need a liquor license.
Get a License
Get a License

One of the State Liquor Authority's main functions is issuing licenses and permits. The application review period can take approximately 50 days depending on the type of license you apply for, the volume of applications being submitted and how complete your application is. Any deficiencies in your application may result in delays or disapproval of your application. 

There are four main groups of liquor licenses:

  • on-premises licenses (e.g., bars, restaurants, taverns, hotels); 
  • off-premises licenses (e.g., liquor stores, wine stores, grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores); 
  • manufacturing licenses (e.g., breweries, wineries, distilleries, cideries); and
  • wholesale licenses (e.g., beer wholesalers, wine wholesalers, importers).

Within each group are numerous types of licenses. Each license type has a different set of application requirements.

All on-premises, off-premises, manufacturing and wholesale applications are provided through New York Business Express as fillable forms.

Get a License
On-Premises Licenses

On-Premises Licensees can sell and serve alcohol by the glass for consumption on the premises. All on-premises licensees are required to sell food at all hours of operation.

Off-Premises Licenses

Off-Premises Licensees can sell alcoholic beverages by the bottle to go for consumption someplace other than the licensed premises.

Get a License
Manufacturers and Wholesalers
Manufacturers can produce alcoholic beverages and wholesale the alcoholic beverages they produce. Wholesalers can sell alcohol at wholesale to New York State licensed wholesalers and retailers.
Get a Temporary Permit
New applicants can apply for a temporary permit to serve alcohol while the license application is being processed. Temporary permits are processed in approximately 10 days, and are valid for 90 days. Temporary permits are available for on-premises licenses and grocery stores outside of New York City.